domingo, 30 de marzo de 2008

Viva el Maricon !

Last Saturday, we celebrated Maggie's birthday (my mother of substitution). How?
We had an "asado", which is basically a barbecue, with the chilean touch. First of all, they don't use any type of chimical product to start the fire, noooo , they use the "maricon"!
Don't worry, they don't set on fire an homosexual (maricon also means "gay")!
"El maricon" consists in making rings of newspapers around a big beer bottle (I should have taken a picture...), then they pull out the bottle so that the maricon turns into a shaft (or chimney). The charcoal is packed into and around the "maricon", and the fire can start. It works pretty well, but it has the inconvenience of making vast amounts of smoke.

The "churri-pan" comes first : it's a fat and delicious chilean sausage served with bread. Maggie made a yummy secret green salsa, but as it's secret, I couldn't know what it was made of (or maybe she doesn't know herself!)
Then come all sort of meat, the best one is named "filete". As they love meat, they also use the word "filete" to say "cool".
The accompaniments were vegetables and"papas" (potatoes), the whole was served with beer and chilean wine.

Now if your a not a vegetarian, I hope you have something to eat in your fridge, because I know you are salivating (at least I am...).

Leo the king of the parilla
Blessed
That's what I'm talking about! sweet life...

1 comentario:

Henri Bugnet dijo...

I've been told that the "Maricon" is well known in Mexico... so it seems it's not a chilean specialty only